Happy New Year! I'm not a big "new year's resolution" person, but from time to time I like to take a step back and make plans for the next few months. The first 16 weeks of 2017 will be spent in surgery and medicine rotation. I don't like to define my life only with the work that I will be doing, but I do foresee these two rotations taking up a big chunk of my time. Whenever I have a particularly difficult school schedule coming up, I like to plan fun little side projects that I can look forward to working on during my scraps of free time.
- Spanish: I've been using Duolingo to refresh my mind of the little Spanish I learned in high school & college. If there is one thing I regret in my education, it's not taking this foreign language seriously when I was learning it. There are so many patients who only speak Spanish all across United States. Even if I don't become fluent, I would really like to make an effort to better my Spanish in 2017.
- Journaling/writing: it's hard to believe that I am more than halfway through medical school. Soon I will be preparing to apply for residency (!). One of the things I dread the most about applying to anything is the essay/personal statement-- the part where I have to portray myself with words. I know I have made meaningful connections over the years and have had profound encounters but when it comes time to write about it, I blank out. In the past I have found it useful to look back on my private journal entries where I wrote about such experiences at the height of their impact. In addition to their usefulness in reflecting, I think writing is a great way to practice verbalizing my thoughts. Sometimes I feel like I get lazy with my feelings and thoughts and I don't care to actually organize them into coherent words. Maybe it's because English is my second language- maybe it's because I don't give every thought and feelings the processing it deserves. Either way, I'd like to start writing more of anything (hopefully more in this blog) in 2017.
- Travel: I have a trip to Amsterdam planned in 2017-- and possibly few more places. I think traveling as a young person is a privilege one should definitely take advantage of. There is so much in the world to be seen, heard, and felt. I hope to be able to see more of the world-- even if it is within the United States-- in 2017.
- Declutter: if you watched my vlogmas 2016, you know that I've been working to get rid of the furniture I don't need, donate clothing, and overall reduce the number of 'things' I have in my life. I plan to continue this effort in 2017- it has always made my life a bit lighter. I expect to be moving in the next few years for residency and having less stuff will definitely make my life so much easier come moving day!
- Feeling comfortable in the hospital: this has been a goal in medical school all along. Even as a 3rd year medical student, the hospital remains a place of uncertainty and at times even fear. I think the next 16 weeks of my core rotations in medicine and surgery will definitely help to make me feel more at home in the hospital. I have accepted that in order to get to a place of relative comfort, you have to live through many days of feeling uncomfortable, unsure, and insecure. One of the deans of my medical school said that medical school is all about being comfortable with the uncomfortable. I've come to expect more than complacency from myself and I think that's the only way to grow and develop as a person and a physician.
- YouTube: my goal for my YouTube channel is to continue being consistent and to always look for ways to improve and relate better with my audience. Sometimes I find it hard to answer and speak with every individual comment or message but I'm hoping that this blog will somehow help to bridge the gap. Maybe I can do posts on frequently asked questions? I'm still brainstorming how to best use this channel of communication.
- Tech-free time: A (the bf) & I have decided to have completely cell phone free dinners whenever we go out to eat. Eating out less is definitely on our list so we want to make the most of our quality time when we do go out to eat at a restaurant!
- Buying less, but buying quality
- Eating out less, cooking more!
So that's a little snippet of my plans and goals for 2017. I'd like to thank everyone again for all the support for my YouTube channel and the website/store in 2016. What an amazing year it has been! I close out 2016 with a heart of gratitude and welcome 2017 with much excitement and joy. What are some of your new year's plans or resolutions?